The university life in Oxford is very much different from that of City University. Oxford has much more room for students to think, to explore, to investigate, to discuss and to appreciate the surroundings. During the stay in the Oxford city, Mr. Mundi, a PhD student in Oxford University, brought us to hang around in Merton college, which is the oldest and richest among all the other colleges. Inside we could see many ancient academic buildings, a garden full of special species of flowers and a large piece of empty grassland. In such a pleasant environment, I eventually understood why authors and great thinkers could be so inspired. In Hong Kong, land is so limited that we seldom have chance to be so closely in touch with nature. We do not have time to pause and have a look at the surrounding environment. Particularly in City University, which is located inside a shopping mall, it is always so noisy that we students can hardly study, let alone think or imagine anything special. Those green areas which most Oxford colleges have are preserved for students, professors and scholars to stay quiet and start to think about life and the universe.
Apart from having open areas, the unique culture and traditions that each college invented are something I appreciate a lot as well. In the little sharing with Mr. Mundi, he told us about the traditions in Merton College. For example, on a specific day in winter every year, students need to go round the yard in 2a.m. in the morning. Also, Oxford students need to wear gowns to sit examination. I think that these traditions can help foster the relationship between students and also create a sense of belonging among them. Their distinct customs largely aroused my interest in studying in the United Kingdom. This trip helps me to bring up an idea that perhaps I can pursue my master degree there someday if possible.
One interesting thing I found in Oxford university is that alcohol is part of their lives. There is at least one pub in each college. According to Mr. Mundi, alcohol appears in most of the university occasions, including all the big ceremonies and small sharing sections. I guess the reason why they like alcohol drinks so much is because alcohol can break the barriers between people. When people get a bit drunk, they tend to speak more. It thus enhance the communication in a crowd. Mr. Mundi said he has even made good friend with several professors through these occasions. We do not have this kind of traditions in the universities in Hong Kong. Alcohol is strictly banned in the student residences, and pubs are very unlikely to be seen in the campuses. We are treated as children who need parents’ control. In fact, I think giving freedom to students is a sign of trust. I get to know that university students in the UK are given more chances and encouragement to break old rules and do something new.
No comments:
Post a Comment